Which human holiday foods can your pet eat?

The holidays are for celebrating with family and a whole bunch of delicious food. As for some of the ingredients that go into these festive foods, some are safe for dogs to eat, but others pose a risk to their health.

If you’re wondering whether your furriest family member can have a taste of turkey or if they can nibble on some cranberries, our dietary experts from Dhohoo are here to keep you informed.

Many spices and seasonings in human foods are bad for your pet.

A lot of the seasonings, spices and flavoring ingredients we add to our foods are no good for your dogs and cats. In particular, these include onions, garlic, salt and pepper. Consider this before giving your pet a treat from the dinner table.

If you want to give your pet a holiday treat that humans eat, make sure that it is plain and unseasoned. While you might not want to eat it that way, trust us: you’re pet is gonna LOVE it anyway.

Baked goods are a no-go

Raisins are very bad for dogs – and grapes too – so any baked goods containing them should be kept away Grape and raisin toxicity is a very serious threat to dogs. The exact substance that causes the toxic reaction is still unknown, but even small amounts can prove to be fatally toxic for a dog. Even without grapes or raisins in them, baked goods containing the artificial sweetener xylitol are toxic. In short, just avoid giving your pets baked goods altogether.

Hold back the ham

Ever wondered if your dog can eat a bit of the baked ham from your holiday dnner plate? Well, we’ve got to throw a flag on that play because hams contain huge amounts of salt that are no good for your pet’s health. Same goes for honey baked or glazed hams and their extra high sugar content. Sorry, but no holiday ham for your pooch or kitty – no matter how hard they beg!

So, what holiday foods CAN your pets eat?

Sorry to be a bummer at the start of this article, but you’ll be surprised and delighted to know that there are actually many traditional holiday foods you can share with your pet under the table, like…


Your dog will be absolutely delighted to know that unseasoned and skinless turkey is is A-okay for their eating pleasure. Don’t give them any of the skin, and choose only white unseasoned meat and they’ll be part of the holiday meal celebration just like their favorite humans!

If you feed your dog turkey or chicken, do not give them the bones, as chicken and turkey bones break down into sharp fragments that can lead to internal punctures.

Green Beans

Surprisingly, green beans are a tasty treat that many dogs actually really like. They can be given raw, steamed or canned; just make sure first that they haven’t been salted or oiled. Other green vegetables like spinach and broccoli are also fine but be warned: green veg can cause your dog to become gassy!


Raw or steamed (and unseasoned of course), dogs can eat carrots. In fact, dogs love the crunch of raw carrots. As a treat, chop up a raw carrot and serve it alongside Dhohoo dry dog food.

Other holiday foods your dog and cat are allowed to eat are white potato and pumpkin, both unseasoned and peeled, as potato and pumpkin skins can be bad for dogs.

In you’re planning to treat your pet to some holiday foods this weekend, our Dhohoo pet food experts recommend that you do so in moderation. Treats of any kind, even treats formulated specifically for pets, should only make up 10% of their daily caloric intake. The other 90% should be from balanced pet food. The special holiday treats you give them should only be morsels, and not too varied in type. Too many different foods in a short time can lead to and upset stomach.

So go ahead and give your dog or cat a tiny holiday treat and let them try some ‘people food’ for a change. They’ll love you even more for it.

Older Post
Newer Post

Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published

Close (esc)


Use this popup to embed a mailing list sign up form. Alternatively use it as a simple call to action with a link to a product or a page.

Age verification

By clicking enter you are verifying that you are old enough to consume alcohol.


Shopping Cart

Your cart is currently empty.
Shop now